Saturday, September 6, 2008

Let Me Hold You Longer

Here we are 10 years and 4 kids later. I know this post is extra long but as I was reminiscing over all the years, the title and the poem at the bottom was a real reality check for me. Hope you enjoy.


Gretchen's 3rd birthday.
Than's 10th birthday



Than's first track meet



Becca's 1st birthday
the absolute most awesome, handsome, boy in the world
headed into the Harvest Party with a bunch of very excited kids....can you tell?
Dani turns 5


Ethan, Uncle Trent and Dani. Although you can't tell by Dani's expression the ferris wheel is the highlight of the fair for her. Than refuses to go on this ride so she always has to find someone to take her.
Precious Becca
Precious Gretchen
Than, Andre and Dani at the Filer Fair waiting to go on the same roller coaster that I went on what seems like just yesterday
Than jeep'n with Dad up at Boulder City.Than's 9th birthday


Gretchen, Bailey Grace, Cam, Dani and Than...Becca was in the front pack
beautiful girls,partners in crime

does she look like her daddy or what?

Our sweet Becca Ann came into our family on Jan. 5, 2007.

Our Family. Dec. 2004(sorry our of sequence)
Our Family. Sept.2005


Sisters first, Friends forever
Bailey Grace and Gretchen are exactly 3 months apart. What a size difference.
Then came Gretchen. Such a tiny little fighter, when we brought her home she weighed in at 4lbs 15 oz. She still has that look on her face 3 years later. She was born at 38 weeks which is full term.
Christmas 2004
Dani's 2nd birthday

Than's 6th birthday

Unfortunately this is the youngest picture I have of Than on the computer. He's 5 in this picture
Dani 1st birthday

Let Me Hold You Longer

Long ago you came to me,a miracle of firsts: First smiles and teeth and baby steps,a sunbeam on the burst.But one day you will move away and leave to me your past,And I will be left thinking of a lifetime of your lasts…
The last time when I hold a bottle to your baby lips.The last time that I lifted you and held you on my hip.
The last night when you woke up crying,needing to be walked,When last you crawled up with your blanket,wanting to be rocked.
The last time when you ran to me,still small enough to hold.The last time that you said you'd marry me when you grew old. Precious, simple moments and bright flashes from your past-Would I have held you longer if I'd known they were your last?
Our last adventure to the park,your final midday nap,the last time when you wore your favorite faded baseball cap.
Your last few hours of kindergarten, those last days of first grade, Your last at bat in Little League, last colored picture made.
I never said good-bye to all your yesterdays long passed. So what about tomorrow-will I recognize your lasts?
The last time that you catch a frog in that old backyard pond.The last time that you run barefoot across our fresh-cut lawn. Silly, scattered images will represent your past.I keep on taking pictures,never quite sure of your lasts...
The last time that I comb your hair or stop a pillow fight. The last time that I pray with you and tuck you in at night.The last time when we cuddle with a book, just me and you.The last time you jump in our bed and sleep between us two.
The last piano lesson, last vacation to the lake. Your last few weeks of middle school, last soccer goal you make.
I look ahead and dream of days that haven't come to pass. But as I do, I sometimes miss today's sweet, precious lasts...
The last time that I help you with a math or spelling test. The last time when I shout that yes,your room is still a mess.The last time that you need me for a ride from here to there.The last time that you spend the night with your old tattered bear.
My life keeps moving faster, stealing precious days that pass. I want to hold on longer-want to recognize your lasts...
The last time that you need my help with details of a dance.The last time that you ask me for advice about romance.
The last time that you talk to me about your hopes and dreams.The last time that you wear a jersey for your high school team.
I've watched you grow and barely noticed seasons as they pass. If I could freeze the hands of time, I'd hold on to your lasts.
For come some bright fall morning, you'll be going far away.College life will beckonin a brilliant sort of way.One last hug, one last good-bye,one quick and hurried kiss.One last time to underst and just how much you'll be missed.I'll watch you leave and think how fast our time together passed.
Let me hold on longer, God,
to every precious l
ast.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, in the first picture of Tony with all the kids, Than looks just like his dad...down to the expression on his face and the glasses! It seems like they've all grown up so quickly!!

theatienza6 said...

not only is he really starting to look more like his dan, i see more and more of tony's characteristics coming out....oh, what have i done

Angela Oldaker said...

Love that poem!! Karen Kingsbury is my favorite author. The book, "Let me hold you longer" is one I like to give out as gifts. Such a great reminder to us, as mothers, to enjoy all the moments...even the less glamorous ones because they will soon be memories from our past. Thanks so much for the post! I enjoyed getting to see your cute lil ones, too!

Mummert Family said...

Man, how the time does fly! You made me think about my own kids and holding onto them. Cam and Bailey were babies in those pics!
I can't beleive how big Bailey was next to Gretchen!! And Cam and Ethan look like twins in the birthday pic.